
Dresden First Baptist Church
490 Morrow St
Dresden, TN 38225
Phone: (731) 364-2212 Email: fbcdresden@gmail.com
Website: https://dresdenfbc.org/
Dresden, TN 38225
Phone: (731) 364-2212 Email: fbcdresden@gmail.com
Website: https://dresdenfbc.org/
Church Office Hours: Mon-Thur 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
Pastor: Dr. Don McCulley
Schedule of Services:
Sunday: Sunday School 9:45 am
Morning Worship 11:00 am
Evening Worship 6:00 pm
Wednesday: TeamKid 6:00 pm August – April
Adult Bible Study and Prayer Meeting 6:30 pm
Youth Studies 6:30 pm
Men’s Breakfast – 1st Saturday @ 8:00 am
Sew Faithful – 1st Saturday @ 9:00 am
Women on Mission – 1st Sunday @ 4:50 pm
(JOY) Just Older Youth Senior Adult Gathering 3rd Tuesday @ 11:30 am
Other Activities include: The music program also features an Adult Choir and adult, youth and children praise teams and hand bell choirs.
On July 18, 1907, Bro. L. D. Summers, pastor at Greenfield, Tennessee held a revival in a small tent on the courtyard in Dresden with success. At that time a Missionary Baptist Church was organized. Several joined by baptism and letter. Bro. Summers preached one Sunday per month for a period of time. Services were held in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and other places until a little church building could be built.
A lot was given for the church on Maple Street by Mr. Ben Irvine, grandfather of Mrs. Jimmy Hamlin, and deeded thus: “Given in order to promote the cause of religious worship and the interest of the First Missionary Baptist Church in Dresden, Tennessee.” This lot was relinquished to Mr. W. B. Mayo, Mr. H. C. Golden, and Mr. W. O. Tuck for this purpose. The church built on this lot was completed and clear of debt the first Sunday in July, 1910.
Bro. T. N. Hale was called for a trial sermon and elected as pastor on December 22, 1919. On March 13, 1927, Rev. Hale preached the first sermon in the new church building which was erected on the corner of Locust and Church Streets. Rev. Hale served the church as pastor for over 16 years. From 1921-1937, the Home Mission Board was paying $600.00 per year of the pastor’s salary.
The Church Annex was purchased in 1959. In February 1965, a lot was purchased on which a new pastorium was built and dedicated in December of 1965. On December 1, 1968 the note was burned and the church was declared debt free.
On September 6, 1972 the church voted to purchase seven acres located on the Greenfield highway from Mrs. Elizabeth Darnell for the purpose of relocating the First Baptist Church. On May 30, 1974 members cleared the ground. The church broke ground for the new building on June 9, 1974 and one year later moved from the old building to the new facility. Prayer service was conducted in the new fellowship hall on June 4, 1975 where they continued to meet until July 20, 1975 when the sanctuary was completed. Dedication services for the new campus were held on August 24, 1975 with Dr. Fred Wood, former pastor from 1949-1952, preaching the dedication service. Dr. Mike Davis was pastor at that time.
On December 21, 1975, the cornerstone was laid. The church burned the note on their indebtedness on November 8, 1981 and the church was declared debt-free.
In February 2006 the church voted to form a Renovation Building Committee to lead the church in an expansion and renovation project of the sanctuary, music and choir rooms and parking lot and driveway. The groundbreaking began in September 2007, with the completion and first worship service on November 9, 2008. The building expansion and renovation was paid off on August 26, 2019.